Over the past week I have read and have seen many teachers talking about the state of the British education system. I have seen other people talk about how other countries have far more superior systems to our. I have seen other slowly dismantle what we have in this country.
Let me put it like this:-
I believe in education!
Notice I use the work education not the education system. I believe that if we were to try and get back to educating the young people of today then the whole experience would be so much more positive. For me personally I feel the major problem is the fact we all try to find systems or approaches or methods that fit within our “education system”.
The word education is defined as
• The act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and general of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life.
• The act or process of imparting or acquiring particular knowledge or skills, as for a profession.
• A degree, level, or kind of schooling: a university education.
• The result produced by instruction, training, or study: to show one’s education.
• The science or art of teaching; pedagogics.
For me, if we were to take this, and again put it into the centre of what we do as teacher it will improve the experience for learners and teachers alike. We need to refocus on what we are best at TEACHING.
We need to forget the brand new ideas that are coming out. We need to forget about the newest fad that is being sold and get back to being teachers. We need to take time to talk to the children. We need to make time to play with children. We need to make sure lessons flow and that they do not stick to a LO or a WALT. We need to make learners part of the process. We need to plan more, mark less. We need to stop putting endless hours into mindless spreadsheets that have no impact on the students
In short we need to