As week 1 comes to an end I have decided that it is time for me to reflect upon it what has happened within work.
Before I start to go into each of the days its worth mentioning that work was tiring but totally amazing/exciting. As I have mentioned quite a few times I have started a new job at a new school. I hoped that the move would enable me to rediscover my teaching passion as I felt I had lost it a little.
Monday, like many primary schools, it was an INSET day. The INSET was based around Talk4Writing Non-fiction. It was a very good session as it re-emphasised many of the talk4writing point that I have been told previously within training sessions. There were also a few things that I had not been told so it was nice to build upon my knowledge. I had a little while with my fellow year 5 teachers to talk about Tuesday and then it was off home to mull over what the following days might bring. Overall I felt all refreshed and geared up for spring term 2016!!
Tuesday to Friday
To start with it is worth point out that it has been very enjoyable, hard, but very enjoyable couple of days. Tuesday started with the children arriving. I spent most of this day not really knowing what I was doing. I had to ask lots of questions and luckily for me the children were more then happy to tell me and put me right. I am thankful that the class I am taking over is one that is happy to help. On Wednesday and Thursday I began to feel a little bit better about the whole situation as I was feeling anxious after Monday’s training session. Friday was a lot more positive as I really felt for the first time that I had a handle on the class and what they were capable of.
Saturday and Sunday.
Normally I do not work on a Sunday as I have a rule that I normally do the work on a Saturday. This weekend it has been the other way round because I was out for most of Saturday. I was wedding planning. YEAH!!! On Sunday I started to work around 11am and work until about 6pm. I know this is a long time and it is a lot longer then I normally would but as I am new to the school there was lot of admin things that I wanted to do to make sure I was sorted for the next 5 weeks.
Below are a few of them
- I have changed the seating plans for all subjects
- I have update the time table for when we are doing different subjects
- I have planned Maths, Literacy, topic and guided reading for next week – this meant updating the hard copies and making/updating the smart board files.
- I have read the information about the test we are asking the children to do next week and have timetabled them into my week
- I have started to think about Thursday PPA and made a list of things I would like to achieve by then.
- Updated the children’s score for their latest mental maths an time tables tests
- I have looked at the long term plan and have an idea where all the other subjects will fit (RE, PHSE, Music)
Overall I believe that I am a lot more prepared for Monday then I was last week. This makes me happy, as I like to be prepared!!
To finish, I really hope that this continues, as the start of my new job has been fab. If the enthusiasm continued I feel that I might even be able to rediscover the passion I once had for teaching!